Hosting a red carpet-worthy soiree this evening? If you want to play along at home but aren’t a card-carrying member of The Academy, download and print these fun, free Oscars bingo boards that we created to help you enjoy every moment of the evening’s festivities–even if you haven’t seen every single nominated film!
This amazingly simple Christmas craft comes to us from our dear friend and content partner, Mary Engelbreit!
There’s still time to do a little crafting before Christmas, especially when it’s a simple project like this! It’s even simple enough to do with kids, believe it or not. They make great gift tags that then magically turn into ornaments. You could also use them as napkin rings/place cards. I’m telling you, it’s the all-purpose craft project!
You’ll need tiny artist’s canvases, usually sold in packages of 6 at craft and art supply stores. Then drag out all your craft supplies that I know you have piled in a drawer somewhere—- ribbon, buttons, stickers, scrapbook paper, paint, markers, and glue.
Paint the canvases whatever colors you like, including the sides. I painted images on mine but you could just as easily use stickers, pretty buttons, or whatever you have on hand. If you’re using them as napkin rings/place cards, use paint markers to write names on the front.
Cut a backing of scrapbook paper and glue on the back. Cut a 6 inch or so piece of ribbon or trim and glue each end to each side of the canvas. Cover the end of the ribbon on each side with a button, a tiny Christmas trim, or a sticker.
You’re finished! A cute, personal gift, and you get a break from making cookies and wrapping gifts! Another family Christmas tradition is born!
- Mary Engelbreit
PS – If you’d like to see Mary demonstrate this Christmas craft, check out her appearance on KPLR here!
When we heard the story of little Addie, we couldn’t help but be touched by the difficulties her family is facing right now. At the age of 6, Addie has experienced an unexplained atrophy of her brain that has left her losing muscular control as well as suffering from a quickly deteriorating mental state. Recently, her family was delivered the terrible news that this will likely be Addie’s last Christmas. As a result, her family is requesting that people fill Addie’s mailbox with a lifetime of Christmas cards this year–and we’d like to help!
Please join us in letting Addie’s family know that we’re thinking of them and wishing them the Christmas of a lifetime.
(Update) Thank you for helping us to make a family’s wish come true this holiday season! We were able to collect more than 220 signatures that we signed onto cards, packaged, and sent to Sweet Addie and her family. To stay updated on Addie’s story, please follow her Facebook page.
We are so pleased that we’ve been able to collect signatures from people around the world. Here are all of the places we’ve heard from:
Whether you’ll be celebrating one wonderful dad or several special guys on Father’s Day, finding a great card or ecard is usually pretty easy to do. Figuring out what to say in a Father’s Day card, however, can sometimes leave you staring at a blank page. Here are some idea-starters:
Tickle His Funny Bone
— If sentimental isn’t your style—or his—then even Father’s Day isn’t the time to get sappy. Keep your note simple with some of these humorous spins:
- Thanks for all your great advice, Dad! Can you please repeat it now that I’m paying attention?
- Fatherhood isn’t for the faint of heart…or the scared of bugs. Thanks for being my big brave Dad!
- You’ll always be someone I look up to Dad—even when I’m taller than you.
Speak from the Heart —
If you do want to say something sincere, Father’s Day is the perfect time to show the appreciation that Dad so deserves to hear:
- Even when I’m not saying it, I’m always thinking it…I’m glad you’re my dad.
- Thanks, Dad, for helping me believe in heroes.
- I can only hope to be the kind of parent you’ve always been: The Best.
Compliment Your Spouse –
Father’s Day isn’t just about parenthood, it’s also about partnership, marriage…and maybe a little bit of romance, too.
- There’s no one I’d rather share the crazy, wild, wonderful ride of parenthood with than you.
- I’m so thankful for the husband you are—and proud of the dad you’ve become.
- Thank you for giving me the family I always dreamed of.
Share a Famous Quote –
Combining a famous quote with a personal note is a wonderful way to show a little extra effort while giving you a starting point for your own idea. Here are some examples:
- “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.” ~Jim Valvano That’s exactly how I feel about you, Dad. Thanks!
- Someone once said, “Children close their ears to advice but open their eyes to example.” Thanks for setting a great example, Dad!
- “Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever.” ~Author Unknown Thanks for always being there.
Make it Personal –
Whether you come up with something sweet, witty or wise, only you know what makes the dad in your life so special to you—and that’s what he really wants to hear. If you want to make your own personalized Father’s Day card at home, check out our selection of printable Father’s Day cards!
Did this article help inspire you with what to write in a Father’s Day card? Feel free to comment with your ideas or tweet us @amgreetings!
Happy February Birthday!
Happy birthday, all you February babies! You’re so lucky to be sharing the shortest month of the year with one of the sweetest holidays of all—Valentine’s Day! As either a witty, intelligent, and strong-willed Aquarius (Feb 1-18) or a compassionate, insightful, and creative Pisces (Feb 19-29), you’ve got some of the best qualities around.
Here are some fun facts you might find especially interesting about your special month:
- Some would say your birth flower is the iris, which represents faith, hope, and wisdom. Others say it’s the violet, which represents faithfulness, modesty, and virtue. Which one’s your favorite?
- According to tradition, the Roman emperor Augustus took one day off February and added it to August, the month named after him.
- There are a few dozen national monthly observances during February, including Black History Month, Bird Feeding Month, Embroidery Month, Grapefruit Month, Haiku Writing Month, and Umbrella Month. There are just as many national weekly observances during February, including Friendship Week (week 1), Flirting Week (week 2), Secondhand Wardrobe Week (week 3), and Pancake Week (week 4).
- A person born on February 29 during a leap year (which occurs only every four years) is called a “leapling” and will usually celebrate their birthday on either February 28 or March 1 in all non-leap years. The odds of being born on February 29 are 1 in 1,461 (or 0.068%) according to the Honor Society of Leap Year Day Babies.
- An impressive roster of famous people were born in February! These iconic household names include: Jennifer Aniston (2/11), Drew Barrymore (2/22), Sheryl Crow (2/11), James Dean (2/8), Charles Dickens (2/7), Michael Bolton (2/26), Thomas Edison (2/11), Michael Jordan (2/17), Norman Rockwell (2/3), Babe Ruth (2/6), John Steinbeck (2/27), and John Travolta (2/18).
- If you’re a history buff, you probably also know that the following four presidents shared February birthdays: William Henry Harrison, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, and George Washington.
We hope you have an extra wonderful birthday and enjoy all the joy it has to offer!
AMERICAN GREETINGS LIVE GREETINGS ‘MADE TO AMUSE: PAWS APPROVED’ FACEBOOK CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
Void where prohibited by law.
EACH WINNER MAY BE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PRIZE FULFILLMENT PROCESS AND SIGN DOCUMENTATION, SUCH AS A RELEASE AND LICENSING AGREEMENT, WITHIN THE TIME FRAME SPECIFIED BY SPONSOR, AS MORE FULLY DETAILED BELOW.
THIS CONTEST IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED, ADMINISTERED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH, FACEBOOK. ANY REFERENCES TO AMERICAN GREETINGS AND ITS PRODUCTS AND SERVCIES CONTAINED IN THE OFFICIAL RULES DO NOT CONSTITUTE OR IMPLY FACEBOOK’S OR SPRINKLR’S ENDORSEMENT, SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION THEREOF.
YOU ARE PROVIDING YOUR INFORMATION TO AMERICAN GREETINGS AND ITS AGENTS AND NOT TO FACEBOOK. THE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE WILL ONLY BE USED FOR THE PURPOSE OF ENTER THIS CONTEST, AND IF SPECIFIED, FOR RECEIVING NEWS AND INFORMATION ABOUT AMERICAN GREETINGS PRODUCTS, SERVICES AND PROMOTIONS.
1. PROMOTION TIMING: Entry for the Contest begins at 08:01 am Eastern Standard Time on Monday, January 13, 2014, and ends at 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time on Monday January 27, 2014 (“Contest Period”). You are entering to win one of twenty-five (25) prizes that will be given out at the end of the Contest Period.
2. HOW TO ENTER: To enter into the Contest, go to www.facebook.com/americangreetings and complete the following:
• You must “Like” American Greetings on Facebook (if you don’t already)
• Fill out the entry form on the ‘Made to Amuse: Paws Approved” Facebook tab and click submit.
3. SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS: Twenty-five (25) winners (each may be referred to as “Winner” or collectively as “Winners”) will be evaluated and judged from among all eligible entries received during the Contest Period.
This is a contest based on judging criteria and is not a game of chance. Odds of winning depend on the number and quality of entries received. A judging panel of 5 American Greetings Social Media and Product Management Team Associates shall evaluate Contest entries based on the following judging criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
- 50% creativity shown by the entrant on the application;
- 25% use of a photo;
- 25% strength of the applicant’s social network.
In the event of ties in votes, an additional, separate judging panel of 3 American Greetings Associates appointed by Sponsor will review the tied entries and choose as the potential winner(s), the application(s) that best reflect the Judging Criteria as a whole.
SPONSOR’S DECISIONS SHALL BE FINAL IN ALL MATTERS PERTAINING TO THIS CONTEST.
Twenty-five (25) winners will take home 1 (one) Live Greetings sample pack of cards and one (1) six (6) month subscription to the Live Greetings mobile application. The Sponsor or its designated representatives will make two (2) attempts to contact each of the selected Winners through the email address provided on the entry form within one (1) business week of selection. If the selected Winner cannot be contacted within seven (7) calendar days after the first attempt to contact him/her or if there is a return of any notification as undeliverable; then the selected Winner will be disqualified (and will forfeit all rights to his/her respective Prize) and the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to select an alternate eligible Winner from among the remaining eligible entries (in which case the forgoing provisions of this section shall apply to such new selected Winner). If any Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, does not comply with these Official Rules, fails to claim a Prize, or if the prize notification or Prize is returned as undeliverable, an alternate eligible Winner may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, be selected. Sponsor will not be obligated to pursue more than three (3) alternate winners for each prize for any reason, in which case the prize may go unawarded. Sponsor reserves the right to modify the notification procedures in connection with the selection of any alternate potential winner, if any.
4. PRIZES, APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES: There are twenty-five (25) Prizes (each may be referred to as “Prize”): Each winner will receive either a prize package containing three (3) Live Greetings cards (assorted styles) and a six-month subscription to the Live Greetings mobile application (total approximate retail value of each prize is “ARV”: $34.96). Limit one (1) Prize Package per household. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Sponsor shall have no responsibility or obligation to any Winner or eligible Winner who is unable to accept Prize as described herein. Prize is neither transferable nor substitutable and may not be redeemed for cash. All federal, provincial, state, and local taxes incurred by any Winner as a result of receiving any Prize herein shall be the sole responsibility of such Winner.
TOTAL ARV OF ALL PRIZES TO BE AWARDED DURING THE CONTEST PERIOD IS $854.00.
5. ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to enter and win a prize in the American Greetings Facebook Live Greetings ‘Made to Amuse: Paws Approved” Contest, entrant must be an individual 18 years of age, the legal age of majority, or older in his or her state of residence and must be a legal resident of the United States or the District of Columbia as of the date of entry. This Contest is void in all United States territories (including Puerto Rico), possessions and overseas military installations and where prohibited by law. Employees of American Greetings (or “Sponsor”), and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, promotional partners, subsidiaries, service agencies, independent contractors, and all of the officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, promotional partners, sales representatives, and Contest and other vendor agencies involved in this Contest (collectively “Released Parties”) and the immediate family (defined for the purposes of this Contest as parents, spouses, siblings, children) and household members of all such employees, are NOT eligible to participate in the Contest and/or win a prize. Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject any entry for any reason. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to determine whether an entrant is eligible under the eligibility requirements provided in these Official Rules for all purposes.
6. GENERAL RULES: By participating in this Contest promotion, entrant agrees to be bound by and comply with these Official Rules. By accepting any Prize, the Winner agrees that the Sponsor and those acting under the Sponsor’s authority may use Winner’s name, picture/portrait likeness and/or voice, for advertising and promotional purposes without further consideration, unless prohibited by law.
The Winners will be asked to follow the instructions within the prize package that requests that they A) Fill out a survey to provide the Company feedback on the mobile application and product samples B) take at least one (1) video of their pet’s reaction to the paper cards C) upload the digital video file per the instructions within the prize package and D) upload the video to at least one (1) of the winner’s own social networks within 14 days of receiving the prize package.
The Winners also grant a non-exclusive, irrevocable, sublicensable, royalty-free license to Sponsor or its agents to use, assign, re-license, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display any photos or videos submitted in this Contest in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for Contest or marketing purposes, without providing any additional compensation, consideration, or notification to me. All photos and videos may be posted on the Internet for public viewing.
8.LIMITATION OF LIABILITY; INDEMNIFICATION: Entrant agrees that Sponsor will have no liability whatsoever for, and will indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and its respective parent, subsidiaries, and affiliate companies, and their respective, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the ”Contest Indemnities”) from, any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Contest Indemnities due to or arising out of the entrant’s submission in this Contest, or the entrant’s conduct during and in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy, or defamation. By accepting a Prize, Winner agrees that Sponsor will have no liability whatsoever for, and will indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Indemnities from, any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) and liabilities (including settlements), due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the Prize or any Prize related activity. No liability or responsibility is assumed by Sponsor and its respective parent, subsidiaries, and affiliate companies, and their respective, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees, resulting from any entrant’s participation in or attempt to participate in the Contest or ability or inability to upload, or download any information in connection with participating in the Contest. No responsibility or liability is assumed by Sponsor for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Contest: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted e-mail transmissions; inaccessibility of the Sponsor web site (“Web Site”) in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the internet or the Web Site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the Contest.
Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Web Site. Use of Web Site is at user’s own risk. Sponsor is not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind which may be sustained to user’s or any other person’s computer or photographic equipment resulting from participation in the Contest, use of the Web Site or the download of any information from the Web Site.
Sponsor: American Greetings Corporation, One American Road, Cleveland, OH, 44144.
Are you still looking for a great deal on your holiday photo cards? Today is the day, friends! Our sister site, Cardstore, is offering 49 cent flat holiday cards on their easy-to-create cards. Enjoy simple, stress-free shopping. What could be better? Today only, all holiday flat cards are 49¢!
Note: Includes all flat Season’s Greetings, Christmas, Kwanzaa and New Year’s cards. ONE DAY ONLY, 12/2 with code: CCP3122
We’re sending out our biggest, happiest wishes to all of you celebrating your birthday this month! If you’re lucky enough to be born in November, it means you’re dynamic, brave, and generous—and we’re not surprised one bit!
Here are some other fun facts about your glorious month:
• The magnetic Scorpio (Oct 24-Nov 22), and one of the luckiest signs, Sagittarius (Nov 23-Dec 22) are the dynamo duo that rule this month.
• The two gems for November are the Topaz and Citrine.
• Your flower is the Chrysanthemum which, according to Feng Shui, brings laughter and happiness to the home.
• Love fall football? On November 6, 1869, the first intercollegiate football game was played in the U.S. between Rutgers and Princeton.
• Not only is Thanksgiving celebrated this month, but it’s also Peanut Butter Lovers Month and National Pepper Month!
• What stars are celebrating with you this month?—Jenny McCarthy (11/1), David Schwimmer (11/2), Matthew McConaughey (11/4), Ethan Hawke (11/6), Leonardo DiCaprio (11/11), Anne Hathaway (11/12), Martin Scorsese (11/17), Jodi Foster (11/19), Tina Turner (11/26), Jon Stewart (11/28), and Billy Idol (11/30).
We hope you have a glorious birthday and that it’s just the start to an amazing, happiness-filled year!
You lucky autumn babies celebrate your birthdays in one of the most gorgeous months of the year! It’s no wonder, with love-filled and charming Libra (Sept 24-Oct 23) and loyal and passionate Scorpio (Oct 24-Nov 22) ruling this month.
Here are some fun October Birthday facts about your birth month:
• You have two birthstones–opals and tourmaline. It is said an opal will crack if worn by someone not born in October!
• Your birth flower is the Calendula, which is in the marigold family, and is valued for its medicinal and healing properties.
• You are classified as the “Peacemaker” in astrology and are strongly motivated by a desire for justice and strive to maintain harmony in all areas of your life.
• October was originally the eighth month of the Roman calendar. It comes from the Latin word “octo” meaning eight. Later, it became the 10th month when January and February were added to the calendar.
• October folklore says that if the deer have a gray coat in October, expect a hard winter.
• More American Presidents were born in the month of October than any other month. They were John Adams, Rutherford B. Hayes, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower and Jimmy Carter.
• Some famous October birthdays include Zach Galifinakis, Julie Andrews (10/1); Kate Winslet (10/5); Matt Damon (10/8); Mario Lopez (10/10); Hugh Jackman (10/12); Angela Lansbury (10/16); John Krasinski (10/20); Katy Perry (10/25); Hillary Clinton (10/26); Bill Gates and Julia Roberts (10/28).
There’s extra good news for autumn babies–some research suggests that those born between September and November are more likely to live to 100 years old than people born during the other months of the year. So here’s to you… may you have many beautiful birthdays to come!
Happy Birthday, You September Stars!
A big, happy birthday wish goes out to all you September babies celebrating this month! With one of your birth flowers being the aster (meaning “star”) it’s no wonder you fill the world with light!
Here are some fun facts for all of you celebrating another trip around the sun:
- The name September comes from the Latin septem for seven, since this was the seventh month of the Roman calendar.
- September has several birth flowers–the forget-me-not, the morning glory, and the aster.
- Your birth stone is the sapphire, and gives the wearer luck. Sapphire is usually envisioned as a blue stone but also comes in green, pink, purple, and clear.
- You’re in good company with some very famous birthdays this month–Dr. Phil (9/1), Beyonce Knowles (9/4), Pippa Middleton (9/6), Adam Sandler (9/9), Michael Buble (9/9), Harry Connick (9/11), Niall Horan (9/13), Jimmy Fallon (9/19), Sophia Loren (9/20), Bruce Springsteen (9/23) and Will Smith (9/25)
Both astrological signs Virgo and Libra fall within September, are harmonious signs making you a balanced personable individual to be around, so shine on like the star you are!
Bright, new talent is always fun to discover here at American Greetings which is why we want you to meet Laura Guardalabene. Laura is a multi-talented graphic artist who is known for her creative typography as well as her fresh, relevant perspective while working on this blog. Here’s what she has to say…
When did you first realize you are an artist?
Hm… Maybe when I was 5 or 6? Whenever I was bored my mom would hand me some markers and paper and I could sit and draw for hours. I think it was around that age that I started to identify myself as “artistic”. It wasn’t until high school when I began to play around with Photoshop and took a vocational D.E.C.A. Marketing Design course that I discovered what graphic design was and the true potential of my artistic abilities. From that point on I knew Graphic Design was what I wanted to do.
What is your position at American Greetings and what is your background as an artist?
I’m a Graphic Designer on the Content Marketing team. I graduated from Kent State University with my Bachelors of Fine Arts in Visual Communication Design in December of 2011. I’ve interned at a couple different advertising agencies and worked as a designer at a screen printing company and for a creative boutique on campus all through college. I started working professionally as a designer 6 years ago and before that I constantly drew for fun.
Could you tell us some more about your work?
Here at American Greetings my day to day tasks include designing email communications that go out to our AmericanGreetings.com subscribers, designing for this blog and concepting/creating sharable and engaging posts for American Greetings’ facebook page! I’m always freelancing on the side too. My most recent big freelance project was for my alma mater, Cuyahoga Falls High School where I branded a prom trade show event called “One Stop Prom Shop” that was organized by the D.E.C.A. Marketing students there (the very program that got me interested in design in the first place!).
What is it that inspires you when creating a particular design or graphic piece?
That’s a tough question… Can I say everything? My inspiration varies based on what project I’m working on. Generally speaking I’m heavily inspired by nature (butterflies, flowers and insects have some of the best color pallets!), fashion, science, movies & TV shows, old run-down Americana landscapes (I love a good vintage diner sign), interior design, architecture and music.
What’s your favorite piece ever created and why?
My favorite piece of art created while at American Greetings would have to be an inspirational quote I illustrated for this blog! The quote is “Enjoy what you have while pursuing what you want.” By Jim Rohn. I’m kind of obsessed with hand-done typography and really enjoy any chance I get to create it. It’s difficult to pick a favorite piece I’ve created outside of American Greetings, but I do really like this sugar skull I illustrated for fun somewhat recently!
What famous artists or graphic designers have influenced you?
Saul Bass and Lester Beall are some of my favorite pioneer designers and for typography inspiration, I tend to look at type “super stars” like Jessica Hische, Eric Marinovich & Jeff Rogers. I’m a Pinterest & blog surfing addict and could fill this entire post with names of favorite designers but those are some of the heavy influencers for me.
What inspires you to create your designs and how do you stay motivated?
Making a difference and leaving my “mark” has always been a driving force in my design career.
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I see myself being happy doing something I love. Generic, I know, but it’s hard for me to get any more specific than that! I know I will be designing in some way, but beyond that I’m not sure. I’ve always had a very strong interest in advertising and fashion so who knows? Maybe those will play a larger role in my life by then.
What advice would you give to an artist just starting out?
Always do what you love, but don’t forget to figure out a career game plan.
What do you do for fun?
I’m pretty much up for anything outdoors on a nice sunny day… swimming, running, playing tennis, hiking etc. I like to paint, sew and make jewelry whenever I have free time too. I’m also bit of a self-confessed nail polish addict and find myself creating crazy-complex pieces of art on my nails during all hours of the night. Oh! And I’ll add “foodie” to this list too, I love cooking and experimenting with unique flavor combinations. There’s not enough time in the day to do everything I want to!