Thoughts from American Greetings Writing Studio Creative Director Rochelle Lulow…
Real Love…Real Life
We’ve been creating Valentine’s Day cards for a long time–and along the way, we’ve seen the words we use to talk about love have changed, too. Today’s romantic relationships are about “real love” and “real life.” Being in love isn’t something that you are in, or fall into – it’s something that you do. It’s about everyday living, and the little things you do for (and with!) each other that mean the most. Like a goodbye kiss as you head out the door, and saying “I love you” when you say goodnight… it’s the little ways you share love every day!
Love is Ever Changing
Our romantic relationships start out new and evolve into stronger bonds as time goes by. That means we may say, and feel, different things as our relationship grows. From playfulness to passion, to commitment and endurance, and everything in between – from how it all started to what it has become – that’s the where the things you want to say in a card come from.
What to write in a Valentine’s Day card–
When it comes to what you want to say, these ideas might help…
- Think back to when you first met, maybe a special time you’ve shared, or look at favorite photos, and think about how these things make you feel…try putting that feeling into words…that becomes the “story” you write.
- Try playing songs that make you think of that person…it’s a great backdrop that can set the mood for writing.
- Create a list of words that describe the person or special things about him, or her, that you love – those words are great ideas for what you might want to say.
- Think of it as a conversation… like you would be talking to that person…the words will come easier that way, and will be said the way you would say it.
- Just before you sign it, try writing your own ending, like “Forever in love with you,” “I love you, and I love us,” or “You’re my everything”…it brings a meaningful wrap up to your thoughts.
- Write as much, or as little, as you’d like…it’s not about how long it is…it’s about how meaningful it is…a few simple sentences that describes that person, how grateful you are, and everything that you love about that person is what matters!
Love and life go hand in hand. You’re in it together–caring, sharing, hugging, holding, laughing, crying, trusting, supporting, and loving each other through it all… Because that’s what real love is!
Wishing you love, Rochelle
Still need some help? We’ve got you covered. From funny to sweet, romantic to risque, we have a great selection of Valentine’s Day cards you can print at home. Click here to view our collection!