After the budget has been determined, it’s time to select the team of vendors who will help make your dreams a reality. But how do you go about finding and hiring them without getting overwhelmed with all of the choices out there?
With these tips from our expert wedding planners at American Greetings, we can help you make well-informed and confident selections to help bring your wedding vision to life.
- Shop in order: Wedding planning can easily go off the rails if you try to tackle everything at once, so put things in order of priority: your location determines your wedding date, then you want to secure your photographer and music (remember, they can only do one event per day, so once they’re gone, they’re gone!), then you can move onto more fun details like shopping for dresses, flowers, and invitations.
- Go through the grapevine: Recommendations are one of the best ways to start looking for vendors because you know that they’ve produced quality work before and can easily be found through friends, family, and on the Internet. Just remember that wedding styles vary between groups of friends or even family, so before you book, be sure to meet with the vendor to make sure that they understand exactly what your vision is.
- Get on the same page: When you first meet with your vendors, listen to what they have to say and their personal philosophy on their role in the wedding. If you disagree with their style or how the event should be run, keep looking for someone who does meet your expectations. It’s much easier to find someone you mesh with than to try to alter someone’s opinion on how something should be done.
- Ask the pros: Trying to decide on the flow of the party or how a special element (such as a live performance) can be incorporated into the event? Ask your vendors how they’ve seen it work in the past. Event coordinators at your location, photographers and DJ’s can be a wealth of information and suggestions, since they’ve seen hundreds of weddings and can help you find unique ways to make your event absolutely unforgettable.
- Time Saver: Consider setting appointments with photographers, florists, videographers, and lighting/linens specialists at your venue (one at a time, though!) to help manage your time, as well as theirs, by making sure everyone has the exact same thoughts and dimensions in mind.
Ultimately, the vendors you select can help take your wedding from ordinary to extraordinary. Go with your gut on who you connect with, and you’ll find yourself much happier and more relaxed in trusting them with the details of your big day.