Is cabin fever cramping your style? You know the warning signs – lethargy, irritability and the inability to concentrate on anything but exotic trips to the tropics?
While sunny skies and warm weather are still months away, there’s plenty that can be done in the meantime to beat the winter doldrums. Even if you’re south of the Maxon-Dixon line, chillier weather can take its toll on you. From indoor entertaining to braving the elements, our experts at American Greetings would like to offer up the following tips on how to beat the winter blues–and keep the whole family entertained!
- Set sails for sunny skies… in your living room! Have a warm weather movie night by bumping up the heat a few degrees (or pull out some warm blankets) and trick yourself into a summer mindset with a classic summer camp movie, such as Indian Summer, The Parent Trap or Meatballs.
- Break up the monotony with a little Monopoly: Host a board game night with friends to bring everyone out of their igloos. Keep the menu simple and stress-free with cold weather favorites grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.
- Project time: Whether it’s cleaning out a neglected closet, organizing your recipes or family photos, or finishing a craft project, winter provides a great opportunity to stop procrastinating. You’ll feel proud of your accomplishment and happier in your newly clutter-free home.
- Weeknight fun: Avoid workweek hibernation mode by breaking it up with meeting friends for coffee, visiting a relative or even a little retail therapy.
- Find your inner peace: Take time for yourself to contemplate, meditate and de-stress. Whether you take up yoga, start journaling or just set aside some time for yourself, you’ll be glad that you did!
- Create your 101 things in 1001 days list: Select 101 goals you would like to accomplish in the next 1001 days and come up with a plan to achieve them. Goals can be as simple as wanting to learn how to knit, as practical as paying down debt or as adventurous as bungee jumping.
- Take a mental vacation: Since we don’t all have the ability to become globetrotters, try visiting your local library to select a travel book or DVD to learn about a new place. It might even inspire you to plan for your next vacation!
- If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em: Ice skating, skiing, sledding or even a short walk out in the winter wonderland offers the benefits of increased energy, an uplifted spirit and stress relief.