Chances are, your schedule will probably become pretty hectic this summer. Cookouts, weddings, sporting events, and other get-togethers will fill your days, nights, and weekends. But one thing you must never forget is to make some time for you. Just for you!
One way to make sure this happens is to write it down on a calendar—with a pen. Declare this time as sacred and non-negotiable. After all, there’s no denying we all need a few moments to enjoy some quiet “me” time on our own terms.
Here are a few suggestions on how to make that goal a reality:
- Backyard Oasis: Sometimes all you need is a glass of lemonade, a hammock, a good book, or an iPod to shut the world out and relax. Be sure to set aside some time each week to just be by yourself and recharge your batteries.
- Go Retro: Remember the ol’ days of listening to a baseball game on the radio? Relaxing on a veranda swing? Taking a nap? No? Well trust us, it’s worth a try. Every single one of them.
- Party of One Always Has Fun: When was the last time you got to pick your dinner location, movie, or date activity? Well, it’s high time you took yourself out on a date! If you feel uncomfortable with the idea of dining alone, bring along a book or journal to write in. A few hours of solitude spent seeing a movie or wandering around a museum can also do wonders to calm the spirit.
- Seasonal shopping: Summer is a great time for scouring outdoor flea markets and farmers’ markets. Take your time looking around and seeing what there is to offer. Ask a collector about their wares or a produce vendor about the proper way to prepare a vegetable you’ve never tried before. You’ll find yourself learning something new while at the same time having fun.
- Expand your Crafting Education: Speaking of learning something new, have you always wanted to learn how to quilt, quill, or do another classic craft? Check out your local craft store’s class schedule and sign up to get started right away!