Happy birthday, all you February babies! You’re so lucky to be sharing the shortest month of the year with one of the sweetest holidays of all—Valentine’s Day! As either a witty, intelligent, and strong-willed Aquarius (Feb 1-18) or a compassionate, insightful, and creative Pisces (Feb 19-29), you’ve got some of the best qualities around.
Here are some February birthday fun facts you might find especially interesting:
- Some would say your birth flower is the iris, which represents faith, hope, and wisdom. Others say it’s the violet, which represents faithfulness, modesty, and virtue. Which one’s your favorite?
- According to tradition, the Roman emperor Augustus took one day off February and added it to August, the month named after him.
- There are a few dozen national monthly observances during February, including Black History Month, Bird Feeding Month, Embroidery Month, Grapefruit Month, Haiku Writing Month, and Umbrella Month. There are just as many national weekly observances during February, including Friendship Week (week 1), Flirting Week (week 2), Secondhand Wardrobe Week (week 3), and Pancake Week (week 4).
- A person born on February 29 during a leap year (which occurs only every four years) is called a “leapling” and will usually celebrate their birthday on either February 28 or March 1 in all non-leap years. The odds of being born on February 29 are 1 in 1,461 (or 0.068%) according to the Honor Society of Leap Year Day Babies.
- An impressive roster of famous people were born in February! These iconic household names include: Jennifer Aniston (2/11), Drew Barrymore (2/22), Sheryl Crow (2/11), James Dean (2/8), Charles Dickens (2/7), Michael Bolton (2/26), Thomas Edison (2/11), Michael Jordan (2/17), Norman Rockwell (2/3), Babe Ruth (2/6), John Steinbeck (2/27), and John Travolta (2/18).
- If you’re a history buff, you probably also know that the following four presidents shared February birthdays: William Henry Harrison, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, and George Washington.
We hope you have an extra wonderful birthday and enjoy all the joy it has to offer!