Celebrating a birthday is special, and sending a greeting card is the perfect way to add your wishes to the day. Once you’ve picked out the card, it’s nice to include your own personal message, too. But do you ever have a hard time figuring out what to write in a birthday card? We spent some time with our birthday card experts and put together some tips to help you.
First, you don’t need it to be lengthy—just sincere! So get your favorite pen ready (pick a colored pen for a fun touch!) and get ready to write!
With your trusty pen at the ready, take some time to think about the recipient and your relationship with them. If it’s a casual friend, but you know what they have planned for their birthday, you can add a special wish such as “I hope your celebration gives you many happy memories to treasure always!” Also, including a compliment is always appreciated. For example, “May your birthday be as special as you are!” or, “Wishing you all the happiness someone as nice as you deserves!”
If you’re close, you may want to write something more heartfelt. Take some time to think about what they mean to you, what they’ve done for you or your favorite memory of times you’ve shared together. These specific thoughts, emotions and memories are what make each relationship unique. While they might feel a little awkward to say at first, as you get in the habit of writing out your thoughts it will become easier with each card you write. You might want to write a draft on a piece of paper to make sure that the words come out right before you pen your final message on the card.
For an added touch of thoughtfulness, quotes make great birthday card sayings as well. There are many great quotation sites, or you can select one from a favorite book. Here are some that we especially like:
- Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others can not keep it from themselves. – Sir James Barrie
- And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. – Abraham Lincoln
- A friend is, as it were, a second self. – Cicero
- You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. – C.S. Lewis
- We turn not older with years, but newer every day. – Emily Dickinson
- Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! – Henry David Thoreau
- A true friend is someone who knows all about you and likes you just the same. – Elbert Hubbard
- Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together. – Woodrow Wilson
Keep in mind that a warm closing will bring an extra smile for the birthday person. Besides the tried-and-true Love, you could consider phrases such as Thinking of You, Love Always, Your Friend, or Best Wishes Always. (And, of course, don’t forget to sign your name!)
Need to print a card at home in a hurry? Check out our printable birthday cards! You can customize it with the perfect birthday message using these handy tips!