We can’t take credit for this one, folks! This annual holiday was created by Ruth and Thomas Roy of Wellcat Hollidays in Lebanon, PA in honor of all the complaining and just plain cranky coworkers you have to endure all year–this is the day to let them go with it and enjoy their miseries.So, if the lady next to you is always cursing up a storm or the guy in cubicle B is always banging his head on the keyboard, here’s your chance to let loose and get in the action and stir up some crankiness of your own:
- Turn that smile upside-down and sign all your emails with an unhappy face.
- Turn your phone volume up all the way; when you get a call, let it ring ‘til it goes to voicemail.
- Don’t clean out the microwave after you use it; better yet—burn some popcorn.
- Affix a Post-It on stray items reading, “This is in the way,” or place cleaning products on a communal lunch table with the tag, “Someone…Please clean up this messy lunch table!”
- Play Bobby McFerrin’s hit song “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” over and over and over again!
All kidding aside, our vote is to always kill ‘em with kindness—if you’re up to it, try some reverse psychology and do something nice. Buy some coffee or chocolate and give them to your curmudgeonly coworker. It’s sure to put a smile on their face—even if just for a day.
Good luck out there!