What are some small things people can to do make a difference in the world today on Earth Day?
Happy Earth Day to You!
On April 22, 1970, when 20 million Americans celebrated the first Earth Day, it was clear that this holiday could have a bright future ahead. Forty three years later…192 countries, over a billion people, and an official “Earth Day Network” now commemorate the day in eco-friendly ways that continue to make a world of difference.
So how exactly do people celebrate Earth Day? From activist marches to benefit concerts, there are environmental awareness events all over the world, and probably many in your own community. At earthday.org, you can find everything from educational programs to e-waste pledges to help you protect the planet.
Some of the best ways to celebrate Earth Day might be simpler than you think:
- Choose tap water over bottled. It’s less expensive, more convenient and leaves no waste.
- Take a recyclable shopping bag to the store. Better yet, take a few.
- Switch your paper billing statements to online billing.
- Turn down the brightness level on your computer to reduce power usage.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. Most of the energy used by washing machines is the result of heating the water.
- Plant a tree or a garden to make the world a greener place.
- Recycle an old electronic device. Stores like Staples now take nearly all electronics off your hands including laptops, e-readers, mp3 players and more, even if you didn’t buy them there.
- Pick up litter. And don’t leave any behind.
- Turn off the TV…and take a walk. Those are two ideas with three benefits: Save electricity. Get healthy. And enjoy the great outdoors.
- Share the celebration! Send a Celebrate Earth Day Ecard – sharing a smile is always a way to make the world a more beautiful place.