The end of each school year produces a new group of freshly minted graduates eager to move on to the next phase of their life, either at college or in a career. You’d love to give them a gift that will simultaneously convey your pride and celebrate all their achievements. But we can probably all agree that finding the perfect graduation gift idea can be quite a challenge.
Just remember, a little extra effort on your part will be truly appreciated by your grad. So whether you’re celebrating a high school or a college graduation, here are some great graduation gift ideas from the gift-giving experts at American Greetings that will surely be treasured for years to come:
- Handy reference library: In today’s world, a grasp of the written word makes you stand out in the crowd. Consider offering the grad a great reference material, such as a letter writing manual, resume guidebook, or (career-depending) an updated copy of the AP Stylebook.
- Help them along their way: A gift card with a specific intention in mind will show how much you care about their needs. Gas and grocery cards for essentials, or even a department store card for new shoes or an interview suit, will help them toward a successful future.
- All eyes on the prize: Offer to have the graduate’s diploma or degree professionally matted and framed. Or create a shadow box to display it with their mortar board and tassel. It’ll be the finishing touch on an outstanding accomplishment and something they will treasure and display.
- Get crafty: Create a scrapbook of the graduate’s school years, incorporating all their important milestones and achievements. Leave a few blank pages for graduation party guests to write in their words of congratulations and encouragement.
- Make a personalized correspondence kit: The new grad may find him/herself in need of sending handwritten notes, so putting together a set of stationery, stamps, and a return address embosser will help them to create a professional and memorable impression.
- Offer them an experience: Some of the most memorable gifts that can be shared are gifts of experiences. Whether it’s concert tickets, cooking classes, or even just a fun evening out, giving them a unique adventure will create lasting memories.
- Customize a popular gift with a personal twist: Many graduates are greatly in need of extra money to help them along the way. But you don’t have to sacrifice a personal touch with this gift. Pair it with a unique money holder and include a heartfelt message of congratulations.
If you’re unsure what they need the most, don’t hesitate to ask for help. If the graduate is too shy or humble to tell you themselves, oftentimes parents and siblings may already be clued into their desires.