What we believe
Sustainability at American Greetings is more than an initiative—it’s a core principle guiding how we do business. We incorporate sustainable practices in our day-to-day operations as well as in our long-term planning. As a company dedicated to making the world a more thoughtful and caring place, we recognize the importance of our planet’s limited resources and our role in sustaining them.
What we do
American Greetings educates our associates, suppliers and retailers on sustainable environmental practices and partners with these groups to continually find innovative ways to:
Create environmentally friendly products
Implement measures to make our operations more efficient
In the summer of 2016, American Greetings moved from a one-million square-foot repurposed warehouse to a newly constructed 600,000 square-foot building. In addition to a reduced footprint, American Greetings Creative Studios incorporates a number of environmentally-friendly features, including all-electric energy, an abundance of natural light, motion sensors to turn off lights when not in use, multiple green spaces. and a compulsory associate recycling program.
Our domestic operations also include four manufacturing and distribution facilities—Greeneville, Tenn., Ripley, Tenn., Danville, Ky. and Osceola, Ky. In addition to utilizing LED lighting, our plants recycle scrap and routinely invest in new technology that uses less energy.
Sustainability is a crucial facet of our long-term relationships with our customers. Our retail partners have aggressive multi-year sustainability goals, and suppliers such as American Greetings play an important role in helping achieve those goals. Ways we approach this include meeting or exceeding our retailers’ specifications for the manufacture of paper and plastic products, continually evolving our recycling efforts at retail, and shipping to retail more efficiently to save on waste.
Our Paper Sourcing Policy (Cards and Envelopes)
American Greetings recognizes that as a company that relies upon the paper industry for many of our products, it is essential that we work with suppliers who take their responsibility to protect the environment seriously. To do this, we contract with paper suppliers who meet the highest environmental standards, demonstrate sustainable forestry, and use recycled content as appropriate.
American Greetings supports efforts to increase the overall amount of certified forests and recognizes and supports all credible forestry certification standards.
- Sustainable Forestry – American Greetings is a member of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI), a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting sustainable forest management. As an SFI-certified company, we only contract with reputable paper suppliers who are third-party accredited to ensure the use of certified fiber content and whose product comes from sustainably managed forests. In addition, all of our paper suppliers are required to comply with applicable laws governing the harvesting of timber such as the Lacey Act, which bars the importation of illegally harvested wood and wood products into the U.S.
- American Greetings has also obtained certification from the Forestry Sustainability Council (FSC) for portions of its business.
- Recycling Programs – All waste paper generated in the production process of our products is recycled. Most of our cards are made of fully recyclable materials and can be recycled by the end user.
- Carbon Footprint Reductions – American Greetings measures our global emissions so that we track progress towards our goal of a smaller carbon footprint.
- Sourcing – We continue to evaluate all domestic and international materials suppliers and their progress toward the goal of reducing our collective impact on the environment.