What to Write in a Love Card
It is known and it is written: relationships are always better when you can find the words to tell someone how you feel because you know how meaningful it is to the person you love. To help you put your best foot forward, we’ve rounded up some pointers from the experts to help you find what to write in a love card or in a Valentine’s Day love letter when you need the right words to express affection.
If you’ve already found a perfect card, grab a pen and get ready to go beyond just signing your name. Ideally, you’ll want to add a more personal love card message inside; one that comes straight from your heart; one that’s specifically about your recipient. It’ll be so much more meaningful, and you’ll see it on their face as soon as they read your personal message. Think of it as your personal love letter for him or for her — the spouse you couldn’t live without, the new flame that makes your heart race, the love letter for your girlfriend or boyfriend that says the things you’ve been keeping in your heart.
Let’s start with some simple, sweet things you can write in a card on Valentine’s Day or in a Valentine’s Day love letter.
Heartfelt Love Messages
- You fill my life with sweetness and love.
- Everything I do, I can only imagine doing with you.
- Love you to infinity, My Sweet Valentine.
- I’m the luckiest person in the world to have found the most wonderful person in the world. Lots of Love on Valentine’s Day and forever. XO
- The reality of our life together is better than how I could have ever imagined it.
- This Valentine’s Day I’m truly grateful for you — I’m so happy we found each other!
- You’re the most wonderful thing that’s ever happened to me.
- This has all happened in such a blurry beautiful haze, and now I can’t imagine my life without you.
- My love, my friend, my one and only — that’s you! XO
- Always and forever — be my valentine.
- I love you with all my heart, body, mind and soul — because you complete every one of them.
Sweet Romantic Messages
- I think about you all day long — and all night, too.
- Thank you for making my heart feel light and my life feel bright!
- You started in my dreams and now, lucky for me, you’re here in my life!
- I can be doing anything and just like that — BOOM! I think of you! How do you do that?
- Only the sweetest wishes will do for my one and only YOU.
- Just hope you know much I appreciate and love you so much.
- What matters most to me is YOU — hope you feel that way, too!
- We’re such a great team — that’s why we have such a great life!
- Loving you is so easy because you’re so amazing.
- If I had to start over and choose someone to share my life with — I’d choose you every time.
- Every day the way I feel about you gets stronger; and every day it makes me even happier.
- All I want is you, always.
Still need help coming up with a more romantic card saying to include in your love card? Try thinking in more detail about the type of relationship you’re in and how they make you feel.
Love Messages for Him
Now, what to write in a love message for him — your one and only guy who makes you feel happy and loved. Themes like appreciation and compliments are sure bets — and we know this because they were reviewed and approved by the guys. Feel free to put them into your own words to let your man know exactly how you feel.
- I see all the little things you do, and I appreciate them more than you know.
- Every time you [make my morning coffee] or [buy my favorite doughnut], I know what you’re really saying is, “I love you.” And I love you, too.
- It’s not the things you say, but the things you do that mean the most to me. Thank you for being so absolutely wonderful!
- You’re such a great dad, and all you do for the kids is responsible for so much of their awesomeness.
- You’re one great guy and an incredible dad. 100% truth.
- You’re so super sexy! There’s no one — and I mean no one — who comes even close to you.
- You’re kind, handsome, smart and sexy. Basically, I hit the jackpot.
- I respect you so much — for all you do with no expectation of recognition or reward, I love you.
- I know I don’t say it nearly enough, but you’re my hero — in every way.
- I’m so happy being with you. In fact, there’s nowhere else I’d rather be.
- It’s so easy for me to remember all the reasons I wanted to be with you.
- I’ll always love you forever.
Love Messages for Her
You’ve found an amazing girl, a lovely lady, wonderful wife (or a combination of all three), and now you want to give her the perfect card with a love message from you. And you’re pretty sure you know what you want to say (because you’re a really thoughtful person), but you still wouldn’t mind a few clues as to what a woman really wants to hear. Well, you can NEVER give too many compliments, and a girl can never get too much respect, love or gratitude. And if you see her doing the life thing with grace and beauty, tell her! Feel free to personalize — then add it to your card and wait for her beautiful smile to appear.
- You’re more beautiful now than ever.
- I keep finding new ways that you’re beautiful in and out — and I’m lucky because I get to be with you.
- I probably don’t say it enough, but I really do notice — and appreciate — all the little things you do.
- You’re going to be the greatest mom in the whole wide world. Because you’re you.
- I’m so proud to call you the mother of our [child/children]. They’re who they are because of you!
- I never stop being amazed by how much you do every day. You’re really an amazing woman that no other woman could ever hold a candle to.
- You light up the room when you walk in, do you know that?
- I swear you have superpowers. If not, it’s just how naturally amazing you are.
- You’re perfect for me.
- I think everything about you is perfect in every way, and I wouldn’t change a single thing about you.
- I’m so lucky you’re my best friend…and the greatest love of my life.
- There’s no one I’d rather be with than you.
- Smart, sexy awesome to be around, and fun — I’m pretty sure I won the biggest lottery of all times when I met you!
See? That wasn’t so hard, was it? The trick is to come up with a love message for her that says exactly what’s in your heart in the sincerest of ways and in your own words. Trust us — you will make her so happy because you took the time to say what she means to you.
Love Messages for Girlfriend
- You do things with grace, you say things with love, and you see things with perspective. You’re perfect to me — don’t ever change a thing.
- My world has changed for the better since I met you.
- All the impressive, awesome things you do remind me how lucky I am to be with you.
- I want to be with you all the time, because of the amazing woman you are.
- You’re such a wonderful person who deserves every good thing you work so hard for.
- Everywhere we go, you’re always the most beautiful person in the room.
- How can someone be such a perfect combination of cool, beautiful, fun and awesome?
- You’re my one and only, my best friend, my forever girl.
- When I’m with you, my days feel brighter.
- Thanks for being you — you bring out the best in me.
- Somehow you always know the perfect things to say and the perfect way to be.
- We were meant for each other.
- Everything we do is better when I’m with you.
Love for Husband
- Thank you for making me happy, year after year
- Each day, you make it so easy for me to remember exactly why I said, “I do.”
- Only with a man like you can I be the complete woman I’d like to be.
- Being in your arms is the happiest place I’d like to be.
- You’re the man! And you’re MY man.
- You make me feel proud, you make me feel strong, you make me feel happy, you make me feel loved.
- The commitment we have for each other is the foundation of so much of the happiness in my life.
- You’re the hottest, cutest, smartest, sweetest, sexiest guy I’ve ever known — I’m beyond so lucky that you’re mine.
- There is no other person on this planet I’d rather spend my entire life with.
- No relationship is perfect, but what we share is about as close as anyone could ever be.
- My hero, my friend, my husband — my life.
Love for Wife
- My friend, my love, my partner, my wife — I’m better because I have you in my life.
- Thank you for making me happy, year after year.
- To know the right person is here by my side is truly a blessing. I love and appreciate you so much.
- I love going through this life together with you.
- I’d marry you all over again — that’s how much I love you.
- You are one beautiful, amazing hot mama — thanks for every single thing you bring to our family.
- What the heck did I do to deserve such a beautiful light in my life?
- You make everyone around you happy to be with you — no wonder I always feel so lucky.
- We’ve had so many amazing years, and I know it’s only going to keep getting better.
- When you walk into a room, you have no idea how proud it makes me that you’re always going to come home with me. Now and forever.
- Together is better in all we do — so happy to spend my forever with you.
- You still know how to make a whole room light up as soon as you walk in it.
- You’re sweet and amazing in every way, and you still surprise me every day.
- My Wife — just two simple words that explain all the happiness I feel in my life.
- In this crazy life, there’s no one I’d rather experience the ups, downs, or in-betweens with.
Love Messages to Send with Flowers
- Every blossom in this bouquet is another reason you are loved.
- A beautiful person should get to enjoy beautiful things as often as they can.
- Wanted to give you something that makes you smile — because you deserve to smile all the time.
- The world’s a more beautiful place because of you.
- For the love of my life — enjoy something that’s as lovely as you.
- Hope these flowers bring as much joy to you as you do to everyone around you.
- Roses are red, violets are blue. Hope you know I’m so grateful for you.
- Sending hugs, kisses, and smiles to someone who’s beautiful inside and out.
- Hope today you feel special, loved, and appreciated for all you do.
- Celebrating the incredible person you are.
- For you — because you’ve made my dreams bloom into reality.
Whether you use them as written, or as inspiration for your own words, we hope these love letter messages for everyone in your life will help you find the perfect way to say, “I love you.”
In addition to writing/editing for American Greetings, Jill Jankowski is also a content editor, greeting card writer, blogger, leadership and life coach, producer, world traveler and standup paddleboard business owner. She loves her dogs more than anything in the world.