First Mother's Day Gift Ideas
From the first bath and the first tooth to the first steps and beyond, life as a first-time mom is both an exciting and exhausting adventure.
Among the many “firsts” is her very first Mother’s Day, a day to celebrate her and everything she does as a mom, whether it’s been only a couple of weeks, a few months, or close to a year.
So how do you celebrate your wife, daughter, sister, or best friend on her first Mother’s Day? We rounded up some unique and thoughtful first Mother’s Day gift ideas to help you recognize the new mom in your life.
Remember the pre-selfie days of anxiously waiting for your camera’s film to develop? Smart phones have made it so easy to store and share pictures digitally, which is especially convenient for new moms who want to make sure they capture every moment with their little one.
But sometimes it’s nice to have a tangible photo to frame or hang on the fridge. An instant camera (think Polaroid) is a fun way to give her a gift that keeps on giving.
These trendy, blast-from-the-past cameras have been modernized without losing their nostalgic, vintage appeal, and Mom will enjoy snapping photos she’ll have for years to come — no fancy printer or drugstore photo developing required.
“Open When” Cards
Motherhood is both joyful and fulfilling, but it’s also a lot of work. Sometimes moms could use a pick-me-up, even if it’s just to let her know that she’s doing great.
Create those moments for her with “open when” greeting cards with a personalized note. They’re one of the simplest, yet most meaningful gifts you can give a new mom.
Start by thinking of occasions when she could use an uplifting note. Maybe it’s her first day back at work from maternity leave, or the first night she’s away from her kid. Perhaps it’s the inevitable feeling of defeat or inadequacy. Or maybe it’s something celebratory like the first time the baby sleeps through the night.
Once you decide what these moments are, purchase greeting cards to fit each occasion and write a personal message inside. Then label the corresponding envelopes. Here are some examples:
- Open on your first day back from maternity leave
- Open when it’s been a tough day
- Open when [baby’s name] says “mama” for the first time
Once your cards are written and the envelopes are labeled, bundle them up with gift wrap or ribbon and pair it with flowers for a sentimental Mother’s Day gift.
Any mom will tell you that the first few years of motherhood go by quickly. Give her a place to document the little moments with a custom memory book.
There are plenty of scrapbooks designed just for new moms, with spaces for adding photos and writing memories. But dedicating the time to creating one yourself will be extra meaningful. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Buy a blank scrapbook or photo album from any craft store and decorate the cover and inside pages. You can keep it simple or go all out with scrapbook paper, stickers, etc.
- Divide the pages into sections. For example, you can create monthly or yearly “chapters” for Mom to follow, or you can create pages based on milestones such as “first bath” or “first haircut.”
- Add old photos of her when she was a baby or toddler, leaving space for her to include a photo of her child at that age.
- Include areas for her to fill out monthly stats like height, weight, number of teeth, etc.
- Dedicate a section to the greeting cards her child will receive for birthdays and holidays. (Both Mom and child will love looking back on these!)
A quick online search will give you lots of ideas — and even printable templates — you can use to create this one-of-a-kind keepsake.
Monthly Subscription Boxes
There’s a subscription box for pretty much everything nowadays, from natural beauty products and fitness gear to pet supplies and wine.
Find a subscription service that best fits her interests and pay for a few months’ worth. She’ll look forward to receiving a surprise gift for several months (or longer, depending on how much you’d like to spend).
You can also opt for a monthly meal subscription that includes pre-portioned ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions. Busy, first-time moms will appreciate the thoughtfulness — and the time they’ll save making dinner!
Send An Ecard
They’re easy and affordable, but how do you make sure it’s something she’ll actually use? It’s pretty simple, actually!
- Choose form our large selection of Mother’s Day ecards to send (it’s free with a 7-day trial!).
- Select a card that’s perfect for her
- Personalize and send in minutes to help her celebrate a special Mother’s Day!
No matter what gift you choose for her first Mother’s Day, the best thing you can do is remind her that she’s doing a great job, and hearing it from you is the icing on the cake.