What To Write In A Thank You Card
First, if you’ll indulge me for a moment, may I just say, “Thank you for reading this piece about thank you note wording! I mean it. Thanks!”
Now, see how easy that was? It speaks to you personally, it’s specific, and it’s genuine—which makes all the difference in the world. And which is why adding a thoughtful thank you phrase into a thank you card will let the recipient know you cared enough to make the effort.
If you’re wondering where to even begin, you’ve come to the right place. We’re here to offer you a little guidance with coming up with thank you messages that are both sincere and considerate. Hey, we’ve got you covered! Consider us your own personal writing assistant…and this your own personal gratitude guide. So, let’s get inspired and get grateful!
“Just wanted to say thank you” note
There are a number of people in your life right now, whether at school, work, or in your family, who deserve to be thanked. And they may not have done something for you personally, but maybe they simply deserve to know that someone notices the way they’re always so kind, or to be told their smile always makes your day a little brighter.
- Here’s a little note to say “thank you” for your positivity and cheerfulness. Just seeing your happy face and big smile every morning puts me in a great mood for the rest of the day!
Thank you for the gift
Regardless of the size, shape, style, or expense of a gift, a shout-out to the gift giver is basically the best way of saying, “Hey, you know that thing you bought me? I got it, and I love it!” Describing that thing, even how you’re going to use it, eat it, or read it in the future, helps the recipient know that the gift is not only received, but also appreciated.
- Thank you so much for the amazing juice maker you sent me for my birthday. As you know, I’ve been wanting to try juicing for a while, and now I can’t wait to give it a try!! I appreciate you supporting me in my new healthy lifestyle, and by the way…nice way to get me to drink my veggies, Aunt Monica!
Thank you for the money
Sometimes the best gift to receive is the type that folds flat and fits right in your wallet—cash! Saying thanks for money can be tricky, so it’s best to talk less about the amount and more about what you’re planning to do with the unexpected windfall.
- Thanks so much for your thoughtful gift. We’re having so much fun planning a family fun day at the Children’s Museum, and we’ll be thinking of you the whole time!
Thank you for the act of kindness
This thank you message is for thoughtfulness someone has done for or shown to you. Examples may include helping you out in a pinch, being there for you, supporting you during a time of loss, or just thinking of you for no reason at all. Thanking that person is a way of completing the cycle of kindness.
- What a lovely surprise! Coming home from the doctor to find some sweet treats on our doorstep not only made us feel special, but made Andrea feel better already, too! Your thoughtfulness and caring are really appreciated. Thanks, neighbor!
Thank you for the support or help
There are all kinds of people who selflessly rise to the occasion when someone’s in need, and they deserve big-time thanks. Remember to make sure to describe and compliment the one-of-a-kind person they are, and how much their help was needed.
- Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Without your time, effort, and hard work, our “Save-the-Earthworms” fundraiser would not have been the tremendous success it was. Those donuts and caffeine runs truly made the difference, and I don’t even know what I would have done without your last-minute hot glue gun handiwork! Again, my deepest thanks.
Thank you for the hospitality
Did they provide you with a bed, a roof over your head, dinner, endless hot water, clean towels? Don’t forget about the smiles, laughs, and conversations you shared. Add to these your own personal highlights from your time together, and you’re sure to be invited back!
- Your dinner was sublime and the concert was outstanding, but spending time with you was the absolute best. Thank you for making your home feel like a 5-star getaway, and please know that we’d love to return the favor whenever you’re in town! P.S. Can you please share your coffee cake recipe? Delicious!
Thank you for pet-sitting
Anyone you trust enough to take care of Pepper the cat, Bailey the dog, or Zippy the three-toed gecko is important enough to receive a thank you card. Let them know how much you appreciate being worry-free about your furry or scaly friend. What if you wrote the thank you from the pet’s point of view? How super-cute would that be?
- Bow wow, wow wow wow. BOW wow, woof woof woof! Bow wow wow, woof woof. PS. My owner would also like to say how wonderful you are as my caring pet-sitter, and she will be calling you again soon to come over to play! Can’t wait!
Thank you for being a friend
I know, you have that song stuck in your head, right? But seriously, this kind of gratitude is the gift that keeps on giving. Pour your heart into a little note, make a list of the ways that friend is there for you, add a bunch of way-back-when memories, and your friend’s sure to feel the love.
- Can you believe we’ve been best friends for 20 years?! Time sure has flown since we were lab partners at Valley Forge High together. There have been so many times since then that I’ve thought to myself how lucky I am to have you as my BFF. Here’s to the next 20 years, and more!
Thank you for teachers and coaches
Teachers and coaches constantly give of their time, their wisdom, enthusiasm, and patience. Add a thoughtful note in your thank you card that lets them know you notice how hard they’re working.
- I just wanted to let you know how much Junior is enjoying 2nd grade this year, and how much I appreciate the time and attention you’ve spent with him on his level 2 reading books! I’ve noticed such an improvement, and his confidence is growing by leaps and bounds! Thanks so much for your dedication to helping Junior day after day. As he likes to tell me, “Mrs. Smith is my favoritest!”
Thank you for the work / business
Sending a potential customer or loyal customer a thank you note for their business builds upon a good relationship and turns it into a great one.
- From each of us here at Fiocca Bakery, we wish to express our deepest gratitude for your continued business. Making customers like you happy is the icing on the cake! Please let us know how we can be of service to you in the future, or better yet, bring in this note for a 10% discount on your next purchase of a custom cake!
Thank you for the interview
A thank you note for an interview should be mailed no later than two days after the interview, and it does only two things. It puts your name again in front of the person you interviewed with in a different, positive way. And it shows what good manners you have! Be brief, thanking the interviewer for their time, add a line about how interested you are in the position, and leave contact information in case they want to offer you the job!
- Thank you very much for speaking with me about your editorial opening at ABC Publishing Company. I really enjoyed learning about the opportunity, and appreciate being considered for the position. I would love to join your team! Please feel free to contact me anytime at [insert contact info here]. Thanks again!
Regardless of how you share your gratitude, be authentic, be you, and your attitude of gratitude will almost certainly be contagious.
P.S. Thank you for reading!
Brought to you by American Greetings in conjunction with Maria Isabella. In addition to writing/editing for American Greetings, Maria is also an award-winning cookbook author and mother of five incredible adult children. She lives in Cleveland with her husband, Joe, and together, they spend all their free time cooking up a storm and spoiling their growing brood of grandkids!