What to write in a bridal shower thank you card
Your bridal shower is often a time when friends, family, and sometimes acquaintances join together to celebrate your upcoming wedding. Cake, ribbons, balloons, gifts—the whole nine yards! It’s exciting, but once the confetti has landed and the champagne bubbles have lost their fizz, the process of deciding what to write in all of the wedding shower thank you cards might seem overwhelming. To help alleviate some of that pre-wedding stress, we’ve done the heavy lifting of reading through the rules of wedding shower etiquette and have gathered up some quick tips to get you started on those thank you notes!
First things first, you need to know your audience, and there are three things to consider when drafting a wedding shower thank you card:
- What is your relationship with that person and how well do you know them?
- Did they attend the shower in person, or send a gift or card in the mail?
- Did they send or give a gift at all?
Now, let’s take a look at some of those relationships and some bridal shower thank you messages you could include in your thank you cards.
Thank you note for bridal shower to a close friend or family member
Some great ways to get started are to first tell them just how much it means that they came to celebrate with you. Next, make sure you specifically mention their gift and feel free to include some notes about how you might use it so that the card doesn’t sound too generic to the reader.
- Thank you so much for coming to my shower!
- It meant so much to me to be able to spend time with you and catch up.
- We are so excited about the beautiful set of [wine glasses] you gave us, and we can’t wait to bust them out at our next gathering!
- The [set of pots and pans you gave us] are going to get so much use [once we finish our cooking classes]. We can’t wait to have you over to [taste test some of our recipes]!
- Thank you so much for the money you sent—we are planning to put it toward [some fun sight-seeing tours on our honeymoon]!
Bridal shower thank you sayings for an acquaintance or someone you met for the first time
If your fiancé has a larger family or group of work friends you don’t know as well, writing them a thank you note might seem a bit trickier, but it doesn’t have to be! Let them know how excited you were to meet them in person and then remember to thank them for their generosity as well.
- I really appreciate you taking the time to join us.
- It was so nice to finally meet you. I have always heard so many great things about you!
- Your gift was so thoughtful and I don’t have enough words to describe my gratitude.
For someone who couldn’t attend the bridal shower
Let them know that, while of course their gift means a lot you, you really missed their presence and perhaps are excited to see them at the wedding. Below is some bridal shower thank you wording for someone who did not attend.
- I am so sorry you couldn’t make it to the shower, but I am so appreciative of your gift.
- I hope you and your family are well. We missed seeing you this time, but send our best wishes!
- We wish you could have been here to celebrate with us, but we are looking forward to seeing you at the wedding!
For the guest who couldn’t bring a gift
Finally, although it is customary for guests to bring a gift when attending your shower, sometimes people are unable to bring something with them. In cases like these, it is still nice to send them a note of thanks for sharing their time.
- I am so grateful that you could be there with us to celebrate.
- It was so much fun seeing you and I hope you know how much it meant to us that you could be there.
- We hope you had a wonderful time and we can’t wait to see you again soon!
The key is to show your gratitude to each individual and make sure they feel like your note is personal. Try to keep a log of the gifts you receive from each person and keep their situations in mind. For instance, if they traveled a far distance, remind them it meant a lot to you that they could be there. Trust your gut instinct when writing your wedding shower thank you cards, your friends and family just want to know that they were able to make you happy and that you appreciate them.
Hello! My name’s Haylee Mink and I joined the American Greetings editorial team in August of 2016. I’m a former bridal stylist and blogger, hopeless romantic, and lover of all things chocolate. My favorite past times include watching sappy rom-coms and cuddling up with my best friend: A 4-year-old spunky Cairn terrier named Loki.
Wedding greeting cards
From boxed sets to individual cards, stock up on wedding must-haves.
Shop wedding cards
Wedding thank you gift ideas
Show your appreciation to the special people celebrating your love with these ideas for wedding thank you gift ideas.
Browse wedding thank you gift ideas
Where you can find us
No matter where you are, get everything you need to properly show your appreciation!
Find a retailer