What to write in a graduation thank you message
Graduation: the day students dream about, with much to celebrate! It’s an exciting event for all involved and one of life’s finest milestones. After all your hard work, it’s time to kick back with family and friends, reflecting on the past and looking ahead to the future.
As many graduation traditions entail, congratulatory wishes from loved ones tend to include cards, gifts, and money. It’s important to show appreciation and send graduation thank you cards for everything you received, so here are a few quick tips to keep in mind as you sit down to express gratitude in your graduation thank you card messages:
Handwritten graduation gratitude messages are best. People love to receive handwritten cards! In a world of ever-evolving technology, handwritten notes are a long lost tradition conveying warmth, sincerity, and compassion.
Personalize the thank you message
If you have a long list of people to thank, it might be tempting to send a general note to everyone. It’s important, however, that each card is unique, so the recipient knows how much you value his/her kindness. Be sure to address each person by name and mention the specific gift you received. It’s especially thoughtful to provide details on what you will do with the item or money. People enjoy knowing that their support will be put to good use!
There are varying opinions on how soon after a graduation party the guest of honor is expected to send thank you notes. To be on the safe side, it’s best to send all tokens of gratitude within two weeks. Fourteen days is a respectable, comfortable amount of time to get through the task and communicate appreciation.
Whether graduating from high school, college, or any other type of program, we have some great examples of what to write in graduation thank you cards to get you started.
How to say thank you for graduation money or a gift card:
- Thank you so much for the generous graduation gift! I appreciate your support, and I am planning to purchase a [new laptop].
- I am so grateful for the gift card! It will be put to good use quickly as I plan to purchase [luggage for my upcoming travels].
- I appreciate your support and hope to make you proud as I begin a new journey!
- Thank you for thoughtful graduation gift. It will definitely come in handy.
- Thank you so much for your contribution to my professional wardrobe fund—which will help kick-start my career!
- Your generosity is endless, and I am so appreciative of your gift and thankful for your support.
Thanks for attending the graduation ceremony:
- Thank you for attending my graduation ceremony. It meant the world to have you there.
- I’m so happy you were able to be with me on my special day. It was great to share such an exciting experience with you.
- I am so grateful that you were able to make the trip into town to attend my graduation ceremony. Thank you for all you did to be there.
- Thanks for being at my graduation. I am so happy that we were able to share such an exciting moment together.
Expressing appreciation to a teacher or mentor:
- Thank you for all of your assistance as I’ve worked to achieve my [diploma/degree]. I couldn’t have done it without a teacher/professor like you.
- When I thought it was impossible, you pushed me to believe in myself. I can’t thank you enough for that.
- [Teachers/Mentors/People] like you are the reason I am pursuing my dream. I will always remember your kindness and value the time we spent together.
- I hope you know how grateful I am to have shadowed you these past few months/years. I wouldn’t be where I am today without your help. Thank you so much.
Expressing thanks for a specific graduation gift:
- Thank you for the [new bedding set]! I’m very excited to move into my dorm room.
- I was very excited when I opened your graduation gift of the [passport holder]. I can’t wait to use it for my upcoming travels.
- Thank you so much for the [gift card]. It will definitely come in handy as I start /continue my professional journey.
- I was speechless when I opened [my new laptop]; your generosity is overwhelming!
- Thank you for the [lovely necklace]. I will think of you [each time I wear it] and will remember such a special day.
Saying thanks for a graduation card you received:
- Thanks so much for the graduation card and kind note. I’m very excited to start this next phase of my life and I appreciate your support over the years.
- Thank you for thinking of me when I graduated and for sending such a heartfelt card.
- Receiving your graduation card put a smile on my face! Thank you for the congratulatory message and encouragement.
No matter what you write, any personalized graduation thank you card is sure to make the recipient’s day. And now that you’ve got a few ideas on what what to say in a graduation thank you card, you might want to be sure to check out these great thank you cards so you can get started. Have fun with it—you’ve got this!
Jenelle Maddox is a freelance writer living in Northeast Ohio.