Veterans Day Messages
Ever find yourself wondering what to write in a Veterans Day card? If so, you’re not alone!
First and foremost, don’t inadvertently mix Veterans Day with Memorial Day! Both honor the service of those who’ve served their country in uniform, but for fundamentally different reasons: Veterans Day (observed on November 11th), celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day (observed on the last Monday in May) specifically honors those who died while in military service.
Simple “thank you”/appreciation messaging will generally suffice, and, for most veterans, is actually preferable in most cases to longer, more flowery tributes. Veterans Day thank you messages that are short and to-the-point often “say more” than attempts to over-dramatize the appreciation.
In general, Veterans Day card messages that touch on one or more of the following themes will be well-received by veterans of any service branch and any era:
- With gratitude for your service to America on Veterans Day and always.
- Thinking of you on Veterans Day, and thanking you for all you did for our country.
- Those who live in freedom will always be grateful to those who helped preserve it.
PRIDE — ESPECIALLY APPROPRIATE FOR RECIPIENTS WHO ARE FAMILY MEMBERS:
- To my Brother, who proudly answered his country’s call — a message to say I think of you with pride…on Veterans Day and always.
- It’s veterans like you who have made this country great. So grateful to be an American. So proud to call you family.
LEGACY — ACKNOWLEDGING THE HISTORY OF ALL THOSE WHO’VE SERVED BEFORE:
- Ours is a country filled with promise for tomorrow — because ours is a history shaped by heroes like you.
- A Veterans Day salute to you for serving in the proud and honorable tradition of the United States military.
PATRIOTISM AND NATIONAL PRIDE — (BUT KEEP IT APOLITICAL):
- You’ve helped to make this world a better place with your courage, sacrifice, and dedication to our country. No words could ever express how much that means.
- We live in the greatest country in the world. Thank you for all you’re doing to help keep it that way.
IF YOU KNOW THE BRANCH OF THE U.S. MILITARY THE RECIPIENT SERVED IN (OR IS CURRENTLY SERVING IN) — ARMY, MARINE CORPS, AIR FORCE, NAVY, OR COAST GUARD — IT’S ALWAYS APPROPRIATE TO INCLUDE A VETERANS DAY MESSAGE TAILORED TO THAT BRANCH OF SERVICE:
To a Marine:
- Saying thanks to one of the few and the proud is more than just a privilege. It’s an honor. Semper Fi!
To an Air Force veteran:
- Thank you for aiming high — and always staying ready to fly, fight, and win…worldwide.
To an Army veteran:
- Honoring your service which reflects the long, proud, distinguished legacy of the U.S. Army.
To a Navy veteran
- With gratitude for your role in protecting the sea lanes…and safeguarding America’s freedom abroad.
To a Coast Guard veteran:
- With deep appreciation for your vigilant defense of our shores…and beyond!
Any of these Veterans Day greeting card messages, as well as your own authentic expressions of gratitude or pride, will be gratefully received by the military veteran in your life whose service you pay tribute to on November 11th.
Dave McPeek, himself a veteran of the United States Air Force, has been illustrating, writing, and editing greeting cards for longer than he’d care to admit.