What To Write In A Birthday Card & Birthday Wishes
Birthdays are a big deal — those special days in the year when we celebrate our favorite people for making another trip around the sun. And adding a personal birthday message in a birthday greeting card for someone is an awesome way to make them feel amazing on their special day.
It’s funny how you never realize just how much your little bit of extra effort is worth it until you hear the person who received your birthday card tell you what a surprise it was and how happy it made them. So don’t let negative thoughts of not knowing what to say in a birthday card ever stand in the way of your follow-through. Here’s a tip: your birthday message doesn’t have to be lengthy; just sincere.
Check out these ideas from our card experts that will help get your thought-confetti flying.
Casual, short and simple birthday messages are always a nice touch
- I hope your celebration gives you many happy memories!
- Enjoy your special day.
- Have the best birthday ever!
- Wherever the year ahead takes you, I hope it’s happy.
- The day is all yours — have fun!
- Thinking of you on your birthday and wishing you everything happy.
- Today, the flowers are bloomier, the sun is sunnier, and life is awesomer — all because it’s your birthday!
- Hope all your birthday wishes come true!
- It’s your special day — get out there and celebrate!
- Wishing you the biggest slice of happy today.
Adding a compliment to your birthday wishes will deliver some warm fuzzies
- Hope your birthday is as special as you are.
- Wishing you all the happiness someone as nice as you deserve.
- If there’s anyone who should have a really perfect day — it’s you.
- The world is so lucky to have you in it — here’s to a wonderful year ahead!
- Your birthday is the perfect time to remind you what a wonderful person you are.
- You get more amazing every year. Hope your birthday is, too!
- You’re one of my most favorite people to celebrate. Happy, happy day to you!
- Can’t think of anyone else that is more deserving of an incredibly happy day.
- How do you keep getting older but looking younger? Just one of the many amazing things about you!
- You were born and the world got better — everybody wins! Have a great birthday. (And thanks!)
If you’re close with the person you’re sending your card to, try going a little deeper.
Think about what they mean to you, what they’ve done for you, or your favorite memory of times you’ve shared together. These specific thoughts, emotions, and memories are what make each relationship unique, so you can create a special birthday message.
- One of the best parts of our friendship is celebrating you. You’re the best!
- Wish I could be with you to celebrate like we did last year. I’ll be thinking of you and hoping your day is every bit as special as you are.
- If it were up to me, your wishes would all come true. Have the best birthday ever.
- Hope you know what a gift you are to the world (and to me).
- I hope all the goodness you give away comes right back to you in the year ahead.
- Today’s the perfect day to tell you how much you’re appreciated for all you do,
and how much you’re loved for the amazing person you are.
- I’m so thankful for the great memories and moments we’ve shared, and I look forward to so many more. Have a wonderful birthday.
- You do so much for so many people, so just let the world come to you today. Relax and enjoy!
- Thanks for always being there and making life fun. Wish big today!
- Wish we could see each other more, but I hope you know how much you mean to me. Sending you big hugs for your birthday!
Looking for more birthday message tips? Check out this article on how to write the perfect birthday message for a friend!
Throw in some fun.
- This used to be just an ordinary day…until you came along and made it awesome!
- You’re not getting older; you’re just getting a little closer to the end. Happy Birthday!
- You’re bound to have a Happy Birthday — it’s in the cards! (Especially this one.) Have a great day!
- Aging is mandatory — adulting is optional. Let go and enjoy your day!
- So glad you’re in the world. Thanks for that whole “being born” thing.
- It’s your birthday — TREAT YO’ SELF!
- Turning a year older pairs well with wine! (wink, wink; clink! clink!)
- You’re how old? Sounds like fake news to me.
- There’s something really special about your birthday…and I’m pretty sure it’s you.
- Most things don’t get better with age. Except you.
Happy birthday wishes for her
Celebrate all the special ladies in your life, from relatives like mom, grandma, sister and aunt to your wife, best friend, co-worker and more. They all deserve a birthday greeting that’s one-of-kind, just like them! Need a little writing inspiration? Here are some sweet, funny and cute message ideas she’ll love.
- Happy Birthday, my friend — you always know how to make me smile!
- Treat yourself all day and all year — a friend like you deserves to!
- Wishing you a birthday as sweet and lovely as you.
- Every day with you is a celebration! Happy birthday, [Name]!
- Hope your special day is full of the sweetest, happiest moments.
- Wishing you the funnest, awesomest birthday of all, [Name]!
- I’ll be toasting you on your birthday with the best wine from the year you were born. You know, vintage. And fine.
- I want to list all the reasons I love you in this card. Sadly, there’s just not enough room. Happy birthday, sweetheart!
- You’re my one and only, forever and ever. Happy birthday, honey!
- “I think all this talk about age is foolish. Every time I’m one year older, everyone else is, too.” —Gloria Swanson
- “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” —Oprah Winfrey
Happy birthday wishes for him
Whether he’s your husband, son, dad, grandfather, brother, boyfriend or bromance, send every man in your life birthday wishes personalized just for him! For idea starters, here are some funny, heartfelt and complimentary birthday messages.
- Awesome guy. Awesome friend. And you deserve an awesome year!
- Wishing you a birthday that’s just as wonderful as you are!
- You were born, and the world became a better place.
- I’ll be thinking of you on your birthday and wishing you all your favorite things.
- This wish is for your birthday. The love is for the whole year.
- Wishing you a happy and healthy year ahead!
- I’m glad we’re friends. I think the others were scared. Happy Birthday!
- It’s your birthday, kick back and have a good one – you deserve it!
- Cheers to you on your birthday!
- You’re not older – you're just more distinguished.
- I remembered your birthday and forgot your age. You’re welcome.
Share an insightful quote.
- “And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.”
- “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” —C.S. Lewis
- “Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.” —Plautus
- “We turn not older with years, but newer every day.” —Emily Dickinson
- “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” —Tolkien
- “With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.” —William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
- “The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune.” —English Proverb
- “It takes a long time to become young.” —Pablo Picasso
Add a Digital Gift Card to your Birthday Message.
Pair a digital gift card with a personalized birthday ecard, for an extra surprise for the recipient. Simply select the retailer you’d like to purchase a gift card from, and then you’ll enter the name and email of the recipient and send. If you’re an American Greetings member, you only pay the amount of the egift card. We also have a "checkout as guest" option for a $1.99 fee. Browse our selection of retailers, from including Sephora, Nike, Starbucks, Fandango, Target and more!
Step 1. Choose the perfect birthday ecard
Choose the perfect ecard to share your birthday wishes
Step 2. Add a gift card
Pick a gift card from one of their favorite retailers or restaurants to add to your birthday ecard.
Step 3. Send if off
Personalize your birthday message and deliver a gift they’ll love.
You can never go wrong with simply jotting down a line or two about the person or telling them you hope they enjoy their day. It’s so much more meaningful to someone than just seeing a name scrawled at the bottom, and now that you’ve got some ideas in your back pocket, your birthday card is no doubt going to make them feel amazing.
Brought to You by the Writers of American Greetings
We are a team of writers and editors with decades of experience creating happiness, laughter and love for American Greetings. When we’re not writing greeting cards and other celebrations content for the company, we are award-winning authors, bloggers, world travelers, singers, photographers, parents, grandparents and pet owners. Most of us live in Cleveland, Ohio, home to American Greetings Corporate Headquarters for over 100 years.