What To Write In A Kid's Birthday Card
There’s nothing quite as sweet and touching as the expression on a kid’s face — no matter how young or old — when they open a card that includes a personal birthday message written just for them.
I should know. I have five children, six grandchildren, and 29 nieces and nephews of my own. And their looks of happiness and delight when they read the messages I write for them in their cards always make my heart sing!
Granted, I’m an editor with a greeting card company. But even if I wasn’t, I would want to make sure I wrote one of the best birthday card messages for kids that I could. It’s worth the little extra thought and effort. Because kids deserve it. It’s their very own, extra-special, once-a-year day, and they should be made to feel even more awesome than usual.
That means getting past your comfort zone and coming up with kid birthday card messages for girls and boys that are genuine, meaningful, and personal. Here’s a handy list of suggestions to help you get started on your birthday wishes for little ones. Choose what’s most fitting for your particular birthday kid, then take it away!
General Birthday Card Messages for Kids:
- As the special birthday (kid/boy/girl), you deserve the happiest day of all!
- You’re sweet. You’re adorable. And I’m wishing you the best day any (kid/boy/girl) could have.
- Happy birthday to the awesomest (kid/boy/girl) in the world, both inside and out!
- A (kid/boy/girl) like you deserves a birthday that’s extra fun and super special. Enjoy your day!
- To the coolest (kid/boy/girl) I know. Hope you have the coolest birthday, too!
- Happy birthday to a smart, strong, brave, and totally awesome superhero—you!
Cute Birthday Card Messages for Kids:
- Enjoy all the sweetest birthday wishes coming your way!
- Is there such a thing as cuteness overload? Not when it comes to you! Happy birthday, cutie!
- What could possibly be better than wishing you a happy birthday? Absolutely nothing!
Funny Birthday Card Messages for Kids:
- Your birthday’s even more fun than elephants farting! Happy birthday!
- To the funniest, zaniest, kookiest kid I know! Happy birthday!
- Sending you a hundred bazillion kajillion happy wishes for a happy birthday!
Heartfelt Birthday Card Messages for Kids:
- As you blow out your candles, I hope all your wishes come true. Happy birthday!
- Wishing you a special day as marvelous as you! Happy birthday!
- There’s nothing more special than the day you were born—because that’s the day the whole world became brighter!
We hope these birthday wishes for little ones will help give you some ideas on what to write in a card for all the special kiddos in your life. And don’t worry…we’ll never tell that you had a little help along the way!
Add a Digital Gift Card
Pair a digital gift card with a personalized birthday ecard, for an extra special surprise for the recipient. Simply select the retailer you’d like to purchase a gift card from then you’ll enter the name and email of the recipient and send. If you’re an AG member you only pay the amount of the egift card. We also have a checkout as guest option for a $1.99 fee. Browse our selection of retailers to choose from including Sephora, Nike, Starbucks, Fandango, Target, and more!
In addition to writing/editing for American Greetings, Maria Isabella is also an award-winning cookbook author and mother of five incredible adult children. She lives in Cleveland with her husband, Joe, and together, they spend all their free time cooking up a storm and spoiling their growing brood of grandkids.