- My heart has no idea how far you’re away today because I’m always carrying you in it. Love you!
- Whenever you have a quiet moment today, know that I’m thinking of you and hoping your day’s the happiest.
- Love, love, and more love is being sent your way today. Hope you’re feeling it!
- Picture me smiling at you today, because that’s what I’m doing every time you cross my mind. Sending happy thoughts across the miles…
- We may be miles apart, but we’re always connected. You’re one of the most important people in my life! And I hope you have the best day ever.
- We’ll definitely celebrate next time we’re together. But, meanwhile, I’m celebrating you today by thinking of how amazing you are.
- Even though we’re taking a rain check on celebrating together, I’m still sending you the brightest, happiest thoughts for an amazing birthday!
- I put some extra hugs and kisses in this card. You might not see them, but they’re there!
- Feeling your awesomeness from here. Hope you’re feeling my happy wishes there!
- Another year older and you still look amazing! I don’t have to be in person to know THAT is true.
- Treat yourself to something special today—because you ARE something special.
- All this technology and no one’s invented human teleportation yet? Someone really needs to get on that so we’re never apart again on a birthday!
- This birthday card is so lucky. It gets to be there with you on your birthday! Wishing I was there, but hoping it’s nonstop happiness.
- Me here. You there. Not fair! But you’ll still have an amazing day, because it’s a celebration of amazing YOU. Enjoy!
- Cheers to you on your birthday! I’ll be raising a glass in your honor. Maybe even three or four…
There you go! All kinds of ways to keep the birthday wishes light and happy even if you’re sad to miss their day. Think of your card as your “stand-in” until you can celebrate in person, and fill it with your voice, smile, and personality. The more real you are with what you write, the more it’ll feel like you’re there.
And remember, just receiving a card from someone across the miles will make them feel acknowledged, appreciated, and loved. Whether you’re together or apart, that’s pretty much the best gift you can give.
Wendy Bomers has been a greeting card writer since the age of ten. Okay, maybe not professionally until her mid-twenties. But way back when kids were planning to be vets and teachers and firemen, Wendy wanted to write cards when she grew up and “make people happy every day.” Now Wendy feels incredibly lucky to be doing just that — helping American Greetings create happiness, laughter, and love every day…for over twenty years and counting!