Maybe she was the person you’ve always looked up to. Maybe she was your pesky little shadow. Maybe you were two peas in a pod. Maybe you were polar opposites. Maybe she’s the one you still go to for wise advice, comic relief, or words of encouragement. Maybe she’s your best friend, or maybe she’s miles away and you’re missing her. Whatever relationship you have with your sister, she’ll love to get a birthday card from you. So let’s come up with something great to write inside!
Birthday sayings for sisters obviously depend on the type of relationship you have. But even if you’re super close, that doesn’t necessarily make it any easier to decide what to write, because there’s so much you could say. Or, if you’re not close at all — in age or in distance — or you’re just two very different people, it might be hard to sound sincere. Surprisingly, the advice for both situations is the same: Keep it simple.
If you and your sister are close, there’s not a lot that hasn’t been said. And there’s no way to capture all those conversations, memories, and escapades in one card — or even in one day! So maybe that’s what you need to say.
- From childhood giggles to our crazy-busy grown-up lives — I can’t imagine going through life without you!
- Celebrating a lifetime of sweet, happy, hilarious memories — and looking forward to more adventures!
- You’ve always had an amazing way of making things better, easier, and more fun!
- Thanks for making the happy times happier and the hard times easier.
- Happy Birthday to my original bestie!
- I’ve always felt so lucky to grow up with my best friend.
Or, you can just focus on your relationship now with an expression of gratitude.
- We may be all grown up, but one thing’s still the same – I’ll never stop needing my big sis!
- For all you say, all you do, and the amazing sister you are — thank you!
- So lucky we’re sisters, so happy we’re friends, so thankful for you.
- I knew you were going to turn out amazing — and, as usual, I was right!
- I know I don’t say it often enough, but I love having you for a sister.
- The older I get, the more I appreciate having a sister — to talk to, to count on, and be real with.
And a quote about sisters is a nice touch.
- You can kid the world, but not your sister. –Charlotte Gray
- A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life. –Isadora James
- God made us sisters, life made us friends. –Anonymous
- Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world, simply by being there for each other. –Carol Saline
- Sisters are for sharing laughter and wiping tears. –Anonymous
- How do people make it through life without a sister?! –Sara Corpening
- Side by side or miles apart, sisters forever, close at heart. –Unknown
If you’d rather not focus on the relationship, you can still write something sincere by writing a wish for her day or future.
- Thinking of you today and always wishing you happiness.
- You deserve a day to relax and enjoy.
- Hope this is a year full of wishes-come-true.
- Wishing a beautiful day for beautiful you.
- Wish big! And I’ll wish, too, for it to come true!
The secret to good writing isn’t so much about choosing the perfect words as it is about expressing how you feel, with messages that are authentic, real, and sincere. Think about why your sister is important or special or inspirational to you — and let her know it in a way that only you can. You’re important to her, too, and more than anything she’ll be happy and thankful you’re part of her day.
Wendy Bomers has been a greeting card writer since the age of ten. Okay, maybe not professionally until her mid-twenties. But way back when kids were planning to be vets and teachers and firemen, Wendy wanted to write cards when she grew up and “make people happy every day.” Now Wendy feels incredibly lucky to be doing just that — helping American Greetings create happiness, laughter, and love every day…for over twenty years and counting!