What to write in a birthday card for a friend
What would we do without our friends? Whether it’s the funny friend who keeps things light…the helpful one who gives advice…the co-workers we vent to…our book club gals…our weekend pals…the cool new friend we instantly clicked with…or our childhood bestie who we can still talk to about, well, everything — there’s something unique, special, and important about every good friend we have. And on their birthday, we want to make them feel that way, right? So we go the extra mile, beyond a text or post or even a phone call, and we pick out a great greeting card that sums up our friendship perfectly.
But wait — if the card already says it all, then what on earth do we write inside a birthday card for a friend? Don’t worry, it’s easier than you think to add that perfect personal touch.
What to write in a birthday card follows pretty much the same three guidelines as buying a great gift: make them feel unique, appreciated, and loved.
If you were to describe this friend in a few words, what would they be? What are some personal jokes or experiences you’ve shared? What makes this friend different than your others?
When you think of this friend, what are you thankful for? What are some helpful things they’ve done or said? Why are they important in your life?
Remembering your friend on their birthday with a card already shows you care, but if you love them like family, or they truly are your best friend, don’t be afraid to tell them so.
So if we put this magic formula all together, some things to write in birthday cards might look something like this:
- Thanks for always being there with a listening ear and great advice — I don’t know what I’d do without you.
- Your birthday is celebrated once a year, but having a friend like you is something to celebrate all year long!
- Happy Birthday to my most creative and talented friend! What a gift you are to everyone you know — especially me.
- Awesome guy. Awesome friend. And you deserve an awesome year!
- You have a magical way of making work fun. Thank you for that!
- Happy Birthday, my friend — you always know how to make me smile!
- Even when we’re apart, you’ll always be one of my closest friends. Miss you — and we’ll celebrate soon!
- Just thinking what a wonderful friend you are and hoping you have a beautiful birthday.
- From phone calls over coffee to crazy nights out — our friendship makes life better in so many wonderful ways!
- You’re my partner-in-crime, my voice of reason, my confidant, my comic relief…and the BEST best friend I could ask for.
- [Twenty] years of friendship. Countless amazing memories. And many, many more adventures to come!
- You were my “BFF” long before it was abbreviated! And you always will be.
- We can totally be ourselves with each other — I love that about us.
- Forever young. Forever friends. Forever grateful for you.
- You’re more than a friend, you’re family to me — and I’ll always be here for you.
Now, simply customize what’s unique, appreciated, and loved about your friend, and you’re sure to find just the right words. And, by the way, good for you for caring so much to make this extra effort! Your friend is lucky to have you. Remember, you’re important to them, too, just by being your wonderful self. So as long as what you write sounds authentically “you,” it will be exactly the right way to brighten your friend’s day.
Wendy Bomers has been a greeting card writer since the age of ten. Okay, maybe not professionally, until her mid-twenties. But way back when kids were planning to be vets and teachers and firemen, Wendy wanted to write cards when she grew up…and have “a job that makes people happy every day.” Now, after over twenty years in the biz, Wendy still feels incredibly lucky to help American Greetings create happiness, laughter, and love – and still hopes to make you smile!