What To Write: Birthday Wishes For Girlfriend
If you’re shopping in the romantic birthday card section, you will see “Happy Birthday to my Wife,” on the cover of many cards, but very few in that section will say “Happy Birthday to My Girlfriend.” You may end up choosing a card that says, “Happy Birthday, Honey,” or one that says, “To the One I Love,” if you’ve already dropped the L-word. So what can you add in the way of happy birthday to your girlfriend that hasn’t already been stated on the printed card, and sounds authentic and relevant to your relationship? Here are some solutions to the problem of what to say to your girlfriend on her birthday. Class, begin.
Be Specific in Your Birthday Wishes for Girlfriend
- For your 38th birthday, here are 38 things I love about you. [38. The way you always refer to sprinkles as “jimmies.” 37. You make my dad laugh (and that’s not easy). 36. The way you wrinkle your nose when a waiter asks for your order…]
Talk About the Past
- This year [we rode rollercoasters, fed ducks, played tennis (well…tried to play tennis), ran a 5k and binge-watched Stranger Things]. Everything is more fun with you.
- It wasn’t always easy…but you always made it worth it. You deserve the happiest birthday ever.
- You’ve made my life better than I ever thought it could be. Thank you for being who you are and for being the most amazing girlfriend ever.
- The day you were born was the luckiest day of my life. Happy Birthday
Talk About the Future
- Looking forward to every walk, every talk, every ballgame, movie and impromptu dance party in the year ahead.
- My wish is for your birthday…my love is for always.
- Here’s to another happy year around the sun—I can’t wait to share what’s ahead with you
Say Something Schmoopie (cute ways to say happy birthday to your girlfriend)
- I only thought about you twice yesterday. All day, and all night.
- I should send a thank you note to your mom for having such an awesome daughter.
- Even though it’s your birthday, I get the gift…a whole evening with you!
- I hope your day is as special to you as you are to me.
In the Words of Clemenza from The Godfather, “Why don’t you tell that nice girl you love her?”
- I love you. (Whether it’s the beginning or end of your note, the best birthday messages for girlfriends usually involve a little love.)
Brian P. Cleary is a senior writer-editor in the digital division of American Greetings. He started his life in greeting cards 35 years ago, and has written in verse and prose ranging from a prayer to a pun. He is also an author of 53 children’s books, selling more than 3 million copies.