Birthday messages for father in law
Birthdays are the perfect time to let the special people in our life know how much they mean. And sending a birthday card is one of the best ways to do just that. For the people who mean a little more to us, we often like to add our own personal touch, but knowing exactly what to write usually depends on our relationship with them. So when it comes to writing a birthday message for a father-in-law...that can sometimes feel daunting. But worry not!
Obviously, there is a wide range of ways to send happy birthday father-in-law messages or birthday wishes for our future father-in-law. But the one thing that connects all the birthday wishes for our father-in-law is that we want to make him feel good.
So the first step in making your father-in-law feel extra happy on his birthday is to find him a great card. Next step: write your personal message. As always, I like to remind people that it’s not a bad idea to write a few warm-up phrases on a scrap piece of paper. Just some quick thoughts about how you feel about the birthday guy, or favorite memories, or things about him you admire. This doesn’t have to take a long. Just write as much as you can, as fast as you can. Once you do, you can pick the phrases or ideas that you feel your father-in-law will like best, and also, ones that feel authentic to you. You don’t need to go over the top, or write something you don’t totally feel, because the very fact that you’re giving him a birthday card is special enough. Once you add your personal message to the card, well, that is the icing on the birthday cake.
Here are some possible phrases to help you get started.
- When it comes to dads, I’m twice as lucky as most. And you’re a big reason why.
- You’re a good man and I’m grateful for you.
- You’ve always made me feel like part of the family. And I’m grateful for that.
- A person couldn’t ask for a better father-in-law than you.
- I’m proud to be part of your family.
- Any time we get together is always a good time.
- I’m grateful that my (wife/husband) comes from such a great family.
- Your support always makes a difference.
- Grateful for all the ways you’re there for us.
- Here’s to a great year for a great guy.
- It’s no wonder my wife/husband turned out so awesome. With a father like you, how could s/he not?
- Today reminds me how lucky I am to have you as a father-in-law.
- Every year, I feel a little closer to you, and a lot luckier to be part of the family.
- You’ve always made me feel like part of the family. Because you’re just a great guy like that.
- Great guys deserve to have great birthdays. Hope today’s the best.
- Our family is really lucky to have you. Your wisdom, helpfulness, and definitely your sense of humor always make a difference.
- I may not say it much, but I always know it – and that’s how lucky I am to have you as a father-in-law.
- You’re a good man, a great friend, and the best father-in-law anyone could hope for.
Or a few more lighthearted approaches
- Glad I met you at an age when I can drink with you.
- I feel less weird around you every year.
- Just when I thought you couldn’t be any wiser, you go and have another birthday.
- I don’t care what people call you, I’m just glad to call you dad.
- It’s always great to hang out with you – especially when you bring beer/wine.
Okay, you’re ready to put pen to card. And once your father-in-law opens the card — and reads the birthday message you wrote just for him — you’re going to make what’s already a good day that much better. And that’s a great gift in itself.
As always, Happy Writing! And Happy Birthday, Father-in-law!
Greg Vovos has been writing cards at American Greetings for over 10 years. And all that time, he’s had two great father figures to look up to, hang out with, and feel grateful for. He knows that is a rare gift, so he feels extremely lucky.