What to Write: Birthday Wishes for Wife
She’s the woman you’ve chosen to spend your life with. Your partner, your love, your best friend. And the most important person in your world. And now it’s her special day.
You’re congratulating yourself on picking out the perfect birthday card for your wife, and now you want to add your own personal touch. And as you sit down, pen in hand, to write something that’s going to make her feel great (and maybe even blow her mind with your sensitivity and amazingness); you suddenly realize…you’re drawing a complete blank on what to say to your wife on her birthday. No pressure, right?
Not to worry, though. We’ve got you.
Whether you’re a high achiever who wants to give the world’s best birthday wish to your wife, or you’re just looking for something simple and sweet, the key is to be authentic and real. Think about who she is and the relationship you share. Use our pointers and ideas below to get you started.
There are many different directions you can take when trying to figure out what to write in a birthday card message for your wife.
Here are some general pointers, to start things off:
- Say what’s in your heart.
- Don’t be afraid to be a little vulnerable. (If not now, when? Right?)
- Only use words you’re comfortable with, that reflect you and how you really feel.
- Focus on the positive.
- Compliment, compliment, compliment!
Some examples of birthday wishes to your wife that you might want to say that she’d DEFINITELY love to hear:
- You amaze me in so many ways.
- I appreciate you for all you do and give, day after day.
- Hope your birthday’s as happy as you make me.
- You mean so much to me.
- You’re beautiful, inside and out.
- I love our life together.
- I’m the luckiest person in the world to have you as my wife.
- I’m so grateful for you.
- You have such a beautiful, caring heart.
- I believe in you and your dreams.
- I love you more every year.
- You only get more beautiful and amazing with time.
- You’re a gift to me in every way.
- I want to make your birthday as amazing as you are.
- I wish I could give you everything you dream of.
- I’m celebrating everything about you that makes you so amazing.
- I love you so much.
Feel free to mix and match any of the above that seem right for you, your wife, and the unique relationship you share. What you write in your wife’s birthday greetings has to ring true for both of you. So don’t make the mistake of going too flowery or over the top if you’re just not that kind of couple.
And, hey, if a sense of humor is something you two crazy kids share, add an inside joke between you or just something you know will make her laugh. Laughter is one of the most important things in a marriage, so go for it!
For those high achievers mentioned above (you know who you are!) who want to dig deep and go that extra mile, here are some other things to consider:
- Get specific. Think about your wife — who she is, what she values, her best qualities, her passions, her talents and gifts. Write about those.
- Say the things you know will mean the most to her. Whether it’s praise or encouragement, or just letting her know you care and believe in her, deeply meaningful messages like these can affirm and deepen your connection.
- If you have children together, or she has children of her own and/or is stepmother to your children from a previous relationship, let her know what a great mother you think she is or how much you admire and appreciate all she does for the kids. And here’s a little tip for you “short and sweet” types:
- Even a simple wish like “Happy Birthday to my wife with love” can be amped up with the addition of a couple of powerful and complimentary words that describe her. You might want to consider something like “Happy birthday to my beautiful, amazing wife…with all my love.” Feels more impactful and personal, right?
Whatever you decide to write as your birthday wishes for your wife, don’t worry about making it perfect. Remember, nobody knows your wife better than you do. No one loves her more. So just write from the heart. Be you. You’ve got this!
Connie Gunn has been writing for American Greetings for 30+ years and has written hundreds (thousands? millions?) of cards given to wives around the world.