All your life, your mom’s been there for you, doing the things that only a mother can do. And now it’s time to celebrate your mom on her birthday. So you found a great card for mom that you know will make her smile, and you want to add the personal touch of a thoughtful, meaningful message. But sometimes when a relationship is this important, and there are so many things to say to your mom on her birthday, it’s hard to narrow it down to a few lines that will fit in a card.
Well, the great thing is, your mom knows that. And she knows you. So something short, sweet, and sincere, as long as it sounds like you, will be just right. And since there are so many different types of moms out there, we’ve got all kinds of great ideas to help you out.
While it’s easy to reminisce about all your mom has done, think about the kind of relationship you have with her right now, on this birthday, and try to celebrate that in your message. Is she still a big part of your daily life, and you can’t imagine what you’d do without her? Has she become more of a friend who you can talk to honestly and laugh with often? Are you a parent yourself, appreciating more than ever all the time, effort, and love that goes into being the amazing mom she is? Are you sending a card across the miles, but still want her to know she’s close to your heart?
Once you’ve thought about the kind of relationship you have, let your mom know what you appreciate about who she is, what she does, and why she’s so important to you.
For the Always-There-For-You Mom
- No matter how old I get, I’ll never grow out of needing my mom! Thanks for always being there.
- For the countless things you do, I’m infinitely grateful. Thank you, Mom, for all your help and love.
- I don’t know how you do it all, Mom, but you do it all amazingly well.
For the Friend Mom
- You’re more than a mom to me, you’re also a friend — and I love hanging out with you!
- To talk to, laugh with, learn from — thanks for being an amazing mom and an awesome friend.
- You’ve always been the best mom ever, and now you’re my best friend, too!
From You as a Parent
- Now that I have kids of my own, I appreciate more than ever what an incredible mom you are.
- Raising kids is the hardest job in the world! How’d you make it look so easy? You’re amazing, Mom.
- When I think about what kind of mom (or parent) I want to be, I feel so lucky to have you as an example.
Across the Miles
- Even though we’re apart, Mom, you’re with me every day — in my thoughts, in my heart, and in the many ways I’m proud to be like you.
- I may not be there in person, Mom, but I’m sending love, happiness and hugs every day until I see you again!
- I always feel like you’re with me, even when we’re apart —especially today. And I’m thinking of you with love.
Once you’ve let Mom know how much she means to you, don’t forget to include a birthday wish just for her. Sometimes moms need to be reminded to think about themselves, so here are a few ideas…
- Take time out for yourself today, Mom. You deserve it more than anyone I know!
- Whatever makes you feel happy, beautiful and loved, Mom — that’s what I wish for you today.
- After all you do for others, today is all about you. Relax and enjoy!
- Make a wish that’s just for you, Mom. Heck, make two or three or four! You deserve all your dreams to come true.
- An amazing mom deserves an amazing day. Hope it’s happy from beginning to end!
The greatest message for your mom on her birthday is one that makes her feel loved and appreciated. Even though she probably doesn’t ask to be thanked for all she’s done, and all she continues to do, it will mean the world to her that you notice. Taking a few extra moments to say “Happy Birthday, Mom,” with meaningful words from you, will let her know how important she is — and what an amazing job she’s done.
Wendy Bomers has been a greeting card writer since the age of ten. Okay, maybe not professionally until her mid-twenties. But way back when kids were planning to be vets and teachers and firemen, Wendy wanted to write cards when she grew up and “make people happy every day.” Now Wendy feels incredibly lucky to be doing just that — helping American Greetings create happiness, laughter, and love every day…for over twenty years and counting!